Friday, September 24, 2010

Well, day three of our rice and beans fast is done!! We are almost half way there. The past few days have been challenging, to say the least. But, in a good way. I think that not being able to run to the refrigerator when hunger pains strike or exhaustion sets in has allowed me to be completely dependent on God. I'm experiencing first hand that He is our ultimate provider! It's really incredible. This afternoon I was completely spent. I had gotten past the hunger, but just felt drained of all energy. But as I began praying, and asking God to sustain me, and fill me up with HIM, I felt a surge of energy coarse through my veins, and I was no longer tired. In fact I find myself running to Him throughout the day, almost as though we are having a running conversation.
This fast has definitely had it's challenges though. For one, feeding my kids is beyond difficult! The smell of pancakes and syrup this evening had my head spinning and my mouth salivating. Plus, there have been a couple of times where I have almost forgotten all about the fast and (almost) licked my fingers after making the girls peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Some of you might be wondering what we have been doing with ourselves during our fast week. Well, for me it is virtually impossible to "relax". Relaxing to me means kicking back with a homemade frappe. But, since that's not happening, I find it difficult to sit down. Adam started his weekend at the beginning of our fast (on Wednesday) and in that time we have been on a canning frenzy! We have picked peeled and canned over 160 jars of apple pie filling, apple cinnamon syrup, pizza sauce, grape jelly, salsa, tomato paste, and stewed tomatoes. We plan to sell most of this at our next produce sale (Sunday Oct. 3). Please continue to keep us in your prayers over the next 4 days as we continue our fast!

1 comment:

  1. Is today the last day of your fast? I fasted a few times in the past, and it is NOT easy... but the closeness you feel with God is pretty amazing. Great job on staying strog. ESPECIALLY while CANNING!?!? i don't know how you did it. I read what you were canning and started drooling a bit. Embarrassing. I sure wish we lived closer to you (Indiana ain't too far away, right!?) i would love to hit up your produce sale. But i guess, instead, I'll pray that God sends others (sigh) to do that!!

    Okay, but seriously.... Apple Cinnamon Syrup!??! That sounds AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete