Sunday, September 8, 2013

He is in the details....

Over the next week or so I am going to answer some of the what, where, why, and how questions.  
Where are we going?

Somewhere along the coast of southern Kenya, in East Africa, lies clusters of villages.  The villages are south of Mombasa and they dot into Tanzania as well.  It is a place that the Digo people call home.  The villages are mostly fishing villages and a lot of the food comes from the sea as well as agriculture from the area.  

It is to one of those Digo villages that we are headed.  We aren't quite sure of the exact location yet, but we will be along the coast of southern Kenya.  It will likely be a village with a lot of dirt roads, and maybe some inconsistent electricity.  We will probably use solar.   

This is where God comes in to the details and this story gets really good.  

About 14 years ago, Heather and I were in Nairobi, Kenya.  We were far from the coast and we had not traveled to it.  We wanted to buy some souvenirs, and thought that a painting would make a great one.  We came across a beautiful painting.  We loved the colors, we loved the picture and we bought it.    There were tons to choose from, but we like this certain one.  I didn't really know why.  We just did.  In fact, my aunt who we were visiting asked us a few times, "Are you sure you like this one, we haven't even gone to the coast?"  

"Maybe we will some day," was our reply.  And the seed was planted.  

We have had this painting hanging in our house and have looked at it for 14 years.  Today, I looked at it again, yet this time I saw it a little different.  


Today, I realized that this picture is going to be by somewhere that we call home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment