Friday, December 16, 2011

Just a funny story...

So today when we went to see our kids, we also got to take a tour of our older girls' bedroom. This is really just where they eat and sleep, as the school that they attend is at the babies' transition home.
So, while we were at the older girls' house, one of the nannies was eating a snack of injera, which is a weird sort of spongy bread, and she was rubbing it into this spicy red sauce. Adam and I have both had injera with our Ethiopian cuisine when we go out to Ethiopian food. You use the injera as your utensil to pick up your meat.
So this nanny starts trying to feed my kids the injera soaked in the spicy sauce. They of course refused. I am standing there thinking, 'well, I can't really blame them I wouldn't want some women I don't know trying to put food I don't know if I even like into my mouth.' So then when my kids refuse, several times each, she turns to ME to HAND FEED ME!!! I was SO wanting to refuse, but knowing that they seemed offended when my kids refused, I didn't want to be rude. So, I opened my mouth. Literally, there was nothing else I could do, she had the injera about an inch or so from my mouth. Then, the funniest thing of all, this nanny turns to Adam, and I kid you not, HAND FEEDS HIM this big huge bite (if you could even call it one bite) of the injera. It was HILARIOUS!! Adam won't even let his Grandma Cheney hand feed him (though she tries every year at Thanksgiving, b/c she wants him to "taste test" the turkey)!
After thinking that this food was really spicy, and we were without water, I tried really hard to NOT think about the fact that a women just hand fed us some food, with her hands dripping with red sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment