Friday, January 31, 2014

Sittin on the 5 yard line

We are lined up on our own 5 yard line.  We are both wide receivers and the play calls for us to run the same pattern.  A quick slant pattern to the inside for some guaranteed yards.  We line up, then I hear the quarterback (God) calling an audible.  His plan calls for me to go deep, and for you to continue running the slant pattern. You were on the other side of the field and you didn't hear this audible, and for you, the play remains the same.  I don't know how the play will work, we won't get the guaranteed yardage, it is risky.  But, he is the play caller.  We don't have the playbook, we just do what we are told.  If we waver, then the play will fail.

So, the ball gets snapped, I run straight for 5 yards, you go five and cut inside. I should be making a cut also inside but last minute the play was changed and I know that I have to go where the quarterback told me to go.  He is expecting me there.  There are BIG things at stake for this game.  People are at stake.

I keep going straight, past the 10 yard line and you look at me like I am crazy.  You think that I am supposed to slant inside and pick up 7 yards.

I keep going, past the 20.  You call out at me and tell me that I have the play wrong.  I look back at the quarterback and he nods for me to keep going.

I keep going, at the 30 I am still going straight.  You are telling me that I am messing it all up, that this play doesn't make sense.  The distance is growing and it is not going to work.  I look back, make sure to reconnect with the quarterback and he directs me to keep going.

When I get to the fifty, I know that this whole play is not making sense, but I don't have the game plan.  The quarterback is the only one with the game plan and he NEVER loses.  He will win!  The trophy already has his name on it.

I feel a tug on my shirt, you are trying to slow me down now.  You are telling me that I am crazy, and that I must have mis-understood the orders that I was given.  I look back and He tells me to keep going, deeper into enemy territory.

In the quarterbacks booming voice he tells me to run all the way to the end zone!  I think that is crazy!  I think that the play can't be made.  I have no choice though but to run to the end zone and pray that the 95 yard pass ends well.

You are angry that the plays changed, and that our plans did not coincide in the middle, where there was a guarantee.  I am here to remind you that we play for the same team.  We want our team to win.  We have to listen to the one who calls the shots though if we are going to win.  We both must run our plays.  You need to run your slant pattern, and I need to run my deep route.

I am still running towards the end zone expecting a hale mary.  The quarterback might decide not to throw it to me there, but might be using me as a decoy.  Or, he might make an incredible pass to me, showing off His skill.  I do know this, he won't Kaepernick it at the very end.  He is the Victor.  We will celebrate together with Him.  We need to keep our focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment