Last week, just outside of the borders of Lesotho I took a
drive back into the 1950’s. It was
almost surreal. I realize that I
was a child of the 70’s but I imagine that this is what it was like. At least, from the stories that I have
been told and those that lived through it. What I found, I was not ready for.
The town was small, no sidewalks, but curbs with dirt
pathways lined the way around town.
There was a church that stood tall and proud in the middle of the 6
block commercial area. It was the
landmark that everything was next to.
The streets were a little crumbly, with some potholes here and there but
it was paved. However, leading in
and out of the town were dirt roads.
A small pickup truck drove by, with the back end almost
dragging along as it had about 10 guys hanging out in the back of it, bumming a
ride from who knows where. We went
to a grocery store. The store was
more of a warehouse. It had a
modest but limited selection of different foods. It probably has the best selection for miles and miles
around though. The fruit stand had
a clerk to weigh the food for you.
There were about 8 aisles, and it was easy for me to find somebody to
help me. I learned that is not
true for everyone.
All of my friends who were going through the training with
me were there as well. We were on
our way to a little natural springs retreat and we were getting some food. Two of them needed to go to the restroom. Both of them went together, both girls,
both about 24 years old. The only
difference was one of them was a white Canadian, while the other was black
Basuto woman. They found the
restrooms in the back of the store and a white store worker pointed them to the
different bathrooms. One was for
the staff and white people, and the other was for coloured people.
They told us this story as we were driving away. Neither of them knew quite what to
do. Neither of them had ever
experienced this form of separation or racism before. As they told me their story, my heart was angered. I was shocked, disappointed, and had
tears starting to well up in my eyes.
Mentally, I put my own daughters in their place. I can’t believe that we humans can
treat others with some much disrespect.
We need Jesus.
We need him to come and redeem His people. We need his people to show His love to all that He has
created. I wonder what role the
church across the street plays with the grocery store? Are they doing what God has called us
to? Or are they just playing
ignorant, idly standing by as the enemy reigns with his hatred and
bigotry.
I am so glad that for the most part, America has grown past
this. It is inexcusable. It has always been inexcusable. It will continue to be
inexcusable. It needs to
stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment