I love so many things about it. It is full of life. It is vibrant, exciting, new. I love the people, (they are very friendly.) I love the food. I love the coffee. We just bought mocha's for about $1 each, and they rival Starbucks any day.
I love our new children. We are attaching well, bonding, playing and learning to communicate. Right now we are only able to see them for a few hours a day. It also costs us about $35 to drive there daily. We hope that we can pass court soon and take custody of them so that we don't have to continue to drive there daily, and we can be with them all the time.
There is just one thing that is really hard for me here. It is HARD to go shopping. We want to buy a few souvenirs to bring home to remember our trip and for our kids to remember their country as well. We are by no means spending an outrageous amount. However, when we are shopping, beggars are everywhere. By beggars, we mean 9 year old kids, hungry, dirty, asking for help from everyone, (especially those with fair skin.) Women, nursing children who have gray hair. Which is indicative of chronic malnutrition.
I know that giving them the change that is in my pocket doesn't solve the problem for them. It only sustains them for a short time. In fact, we had to go to the same area two times today, and the same kids came up to us again, still hungry. I also know that by buying local made stuff we are sustaining many families and businesses. We bought a leather stool. There are numerous families that are all benefiting from this going all the way to the farmer that grows the grass for the cows. I know that this is a more sustainable way to assist people. However, it is still hard when I am holding a bag of items, and my pockets are now empty of all my small bills to hand out. I don't really know what to make of it.
I saw an online article this week that stated 1/2 of the US lives in poverty now. Really? I don't know if 1/2 of the US really knows what poverty really is.
I have been reflecting a lot on what Jesus said about the poor. We are to give to those in need. However, He is the real sustainer.
John 6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."
They need Jesus. We all need Jesus. He is the only one that can reconcile all of us. In the meantime, we will continue to try to help sustain those in need at least for one more day.
Thank you for this post, Heather!
ReplyDelete80)
Mary Beth
Oh Heather, yes. I don't think we will ever forget having one tiny little boy come up to us and ask to clean our shoes. When we said no, he continued asking, "Shoes, please, please. Hungry."
ReplyDeleteIt really changes your perspectives on life, doesn't it? We're praying for your family. Thank you for the posts...we love keeping updated on your journey. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your precious kiddos when you pass court!