Monday, January 30, 2012

Hard goodbye, but help is on it's way!!!!

I HATE goodbyes. Always have. I cry, I sob, and I dread saying goodbye. This weekend I have been thinking non stop about saying goodbye to Adam. I knew that I would be hard for me. What I didn't anticipate was how hard it would be for my girls. They each have their own unique way of grieving. The common thread among all of them though, was that they were sobbing. Adam's car was set to pick him up at 7:30pm. The girls usually go to bed at 7:00. I thought it would be easier for them to say goodbye, and then put them to bed.
Adam started his goodbyes with Mahlet. Her way of dealing with grief is to ignore it. She did everything she could to NOT say goodbye to Adam. She barely gave him a hug, and tried to act as silly as possible when Adam trying to give her a hug. Within minutes we found her sobbing on Adam's pillow. Then Adam said goodbye to London. Her way of dealing with grief is fight it. The whole time Adam was hugging her, she couldn't look at him. She knew that if she did, she would start crying. She was whimpering until we got in bed, and then she was sobbing. Then Adam said goodbye to Eyerus. Her way of dealing with grief is to give in to it. She sat on Adam's lap, and just started sobbing immediately. Then Adam said goodbye to Capri. She's only 2, so we are not sure how much she really understands. She was laughing up until we waved Adam's car goodbye, then she decided to join in and just started sobbing as well. Then Adam said goodbye to Geneva. She grieves long and slow, just like her momma:). She has been saying for days how she doesn't want Adam to go. She has been crying for days, and tonight was sobbing immediately.
Finally it was time to put the girls in bed, only nobody wanted to go to bed. Mahlet sobbed again at the thought of going to her own bed, so I let her sleep in my bed. Geneva always starts out in my bed, because she shares a bed with Capri. But, then of course Capri didn't want to sleep in her own bed, so I put her at the foot of my bed. Since everybody else was sleeping in my bed, it didn't seem fair that sick little London should have to sleep by herself. So, we made a spot for London. Eyerus was in her own bed, still sobbing. I had promised her that she could wave goodbye to Adam's car. The other girls I thought for sure would be asleep.
We left the room with everybody crying (except Capri, who was saying "I not crying". When Adam said goodbye to me, I was crying, but not as much for myself, as for my girls. The car finally came, all the girls got out of bed, came to the balcony to wave Adam's car goodbye. By now, every single one of us, including Adam is sobbing.
When Adam's car finally left, the girls and I went back inside and just held each other and sobbed. I HATE goodbyes.
The good news though is, I just skyped my mom. I thought that my parents wouldn't be here for 16 days. But my mom is getting on a plane on SUNDAY!!!! That is less than a week away! Praise God!! Help is on its way:)

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I almost started crying too, just reading this! I love all of you :) Looking forward to hanging out and playing with the gals when you get home!

    ReplyDelete