There are three books that have really changed my philosophy on giving lately. I read, "When Helping Hurts," a while ago and I am currently reading, "Toxic Charity." Both of these really question the way that I have done things in the past. Also, I am continually reading the Bible, which address giving on numerous different levels.
Giving should help and empower. However, often it doesn't do that. Also, as Christians our giving should really have a focus on furthering God's kingdom.
I think that one of the best ways to accomplish this is by supporting and giving to different missionaries that are working on the front lines, spreading the Gospel and helping communities more holistically.
Another way of giving is by supporting peoples real businesses. Though it has cost us a ton to stay here in ET for so long, one of the things that makes it easier to swallow the cost is knowing where the money is going. By staying in this guest house we are supporting, 2 guards, 2 cooks, 2 cleaners, 3 receptionists. We also have supported a driver fairly often. As we go to the local markets and bakeries and fruit stands we are helping support the community in real ways, by purchasing things from them locally. I know that one of our guards used to rummage through the garbage dump prior to getting this job. I love knowing that I am helping support a secure job that helps his daughter go to school and have enough food to eat. Paying for this guest house is one of the best ways we can support and get to know people on a longer basis.
I don't like hand-outs. The hard part is knowing when to give to someone asking and when not to. It is not always wise to help sustain someones begging. I guess that is where we have to pray for wisdom and guidance on how to handle the different situations.
Like I said, I really haven't landed anywhere. It is a question that keeps confronting me lately though and has been on my mind a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment