At the end of January, three days before I (Adam) was getting ready to return to the US, London got VERY sick. We took her to the clinic after she had a temperature of 105F that was not controlled with Tylenol, Motrin and a cold bath. Luckily, the doctor was able to diagnose her with Typhus. (Which is different than Typhoid fever) Typhus used to be known as jail fever and prior to antibiotics had a mortality rate of almost 50%. Luckily, we had access to antibiotic injections (which were torturous for all involved.) I took her to get her last shot, still with a fever about an hour before I told Heather and the girls goodbye as I left to the airport. It was during a 4 day period, we found out we didn't pass court for Yosef, we weren't submitted to embassy, we had a TON of money stolen and we determined that I had to return to the US.
After doing some research on Typhus we were able to determine that London contracted it via a flea bite (that had bitten a rat) from a very poor area. This poor area, known as Kora is where we go to church. Typhus takes 3 weeks to incubate and doing our math we realized that this was exactly when we decided to take our girls to do some home visits in this area, to pray with and bless those that never can make it to church. London got bit by fleas in the process, as Satan was already planning an attack against us. Prior to going to Kora, I made a conscious decision to take my children into the area. I recognized and knew there might be some risks, but I knew that this is where the Lord was leading us. So we went. The night that I realized how sick London was due to our being there, it made me sick. I brought her in there. I brought her into this spiritual war and she paid a price for it. I stayed up really late that night, praying into the night, refusing to let Satan win. To God be the glory in ALL things.
This coming Monday, we have been given the opportunity to go back to the Kora village and encourage and support some of the widows there. We are going to the Mission Ethiopia area where the women work and make necklaces to sell, so that they can support their families, give their kids an education, and support more of the neighborhood all around them, in the name of Jesus Christ. You can see a video of where we are going HERE! I encourage you to watch it. It took us 5 hours to download here and I am glad that I did. I just showed it to all of our kids. They are all super excited to go and visit the women and see how the necklaces are made.
I am not hesitant to take our kids back there on Monday. I trust in God's sovereign provision and I trust that He cares for my family more than I do. I will not let Satan win. In Christ, I have "No Fear." I will however, go with more prayer than before. I am excited about this opportunity to go into this village again and see Christ work, especially amongst my children. I trust that my family has been and will continue to be covered in prayer through our time here. This is one of the ways that you can pray for us. Another BIG prayer request is that on Thursday, the girls uncle is supposed to go to the Embassy for an interview and we are hoping to be cleared on that day. This will allow us to make our April 3rd flights home!!!
If anyone would like one of the magazine necklaces or clay necklaces seen in the video, send us a message and we will buy them and bring them back for you to buy. The cost is $10 each. Also, specify which kind you would like, clay or magazine.
Congratulation on the expansion of your family! Thank you for the blog updates. I would love to order a necklace! I would like a black magazine. If that isn't available, a black clay would be fine. Just one strand in medium works for me. :-) I'm a member of Hillside and am in Bible study with Helen and Carrie. Keeping your family in prayer. ~Kathryn Read
ReplyDelete