Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Feeding of The 400!

Written a couple weeks ago...

 It almost feels like this memory is still too fresh to put to words.  I am going to journal my thoughts here for now since I don't have any Internet connection to post anything.  

I arrived early to the church, about 3 in the afternoon.  There were already about ten people working diligently, preparing a meal.  They had been working for hours cutting onions, cutting meat, and cooking.  A couple of women from Project Hopeful came a few minutes later and were there to help as well. 
 


Some small children started to trickle in.  As they came through the gate, they handed an usher a ticket.  This is a ticket that was handed out at children's church earlier in the week and at the main church on Sunday.  
More kids started to come, most by themselves in groups of children with no adult present.  Soon, there were fifty.  

Adults started to hobble in.  Some of them on crutches.  Some of them with a cane.  Some of them had to be led by another person that can see.  Some of them had significant debilitating injuries.  Some had leprosy.  Some of them had a baby strapped to her back.  
None of them came in as a couple.  I did not see a single "family unit" arrive together.  
Soon there were 200.  And so we prayed God's blessing over the meal and those that were present. 
 Then the crazy distribution of food started.  Everyone got their own plate of food.  The smallest kids first, then the older, then the adults.  Some waited patiently, some were too hungry to wait any longer.  Food was flying at a rapid pace through the aisle, that was when I heard the banging.  I had heard it before, but each time I had heard it in the past the gate was opened.  This time, the gate stayed shut.  I glanced around at the courtyard and did not see a single place for anyone else to sit.  (Even by Ethiopian standards). The place was completely packed full of widows, orphans, lepers, prostitutes, the blind and the lame.

Then the gate was opened as someone left.  It had to be guarded.  Desperation.  Anxiety.  Hunger.  Emptiness.  The faces of the hundreds that stood on the outside of the gate told their own story.  They were left out.  There was no room for them.  

Slowly, as others left, a few more were let in.  This took place until the entire first group of 200 left and a new group of 200 took their place.  I couldn't believe that there would be enough food.  I know that this was not the feeding of the 5000 but I can't believe that there continued to be enough.  By the time the big containers were almost empty, there was no longer anyone standing at the gate longing to get in.  God had provided more than enough for each and everyone of them!  Somewhere between 400-500 people!  There was enough for about ten more servings as we cleaned up.  The "clean" drinking water that filled a 40 gallon drum was almost empty, but it too had been enough.  

We only had around fifty or so cups to start with.  Those little red plastic cups just don't exist here.  There was not time to wash cups after each use, it was too crazy.  So as the dinner went on, the red stains from everyone's injera stained hands continued to pile up on the white cups.  I was barely willing to touch the cup on the outside, to pour some new water in it for someone else.  I couldn't imagine drinking from it.  I guess it doesn't matter when you are that hungry and when you are that thirsty.  

I was completely blessed to be apart of today's feeding.  It was made possible by a church that donated $300 for it.  Well done church, well done.  It was money that was well spent.  You see, people are not only being fed here with food, they are being filled with the Holy Spirit as well.  The church has tripled since I was here a year ago.  They have planted two new churches in the area.  I them saw them have a special teaching time for new believers before the main service this last week.  There were about 20 people that have put their trust in Jesus Christ and have turned away from Ethiopian Orthodox and from Islam. 
I was also blessed to witness my 12 year old daughter serving those in need as well.  It was only a year ago that she was one of the crowd.  



No comments:

Post a Comment