I could hardly sleep as my friend Tesfaye and I were going to the embassy the next morning and we had to leave by 6:30. Not having a reliable alarm clock, I slept light and kept checking the time.
Before we could go to the embassy we had to go to a bank near there and obtain a bank statement. He also had to pay for his appointment and obtain a receipt. The money is for the appointment and not the visa, so it is not refundable. Our appointment was at 8:30, but the bank did not open until 8:00. While we waited, another pastor who had been invited to the same conference showed up to meet us at the bank. Somehow, he got an apponintment for the same time, (I am really not sure how). As the bank took a long time and we rolled up to the embassy at 9:00, I was starting to get stressed. They too, seemed a little stressed, dressed in their fine suits and ties, they started running around trying to hurry up.
At the embassy, before you can even get to the gate, security checks your passports, and your proof of an appointment, if you are not a US citizen. When I showed them my passport, they asked why I was there. When I told them I was there to help my friend, they laughed at both of us. They told me that he was 18 and did not need any help. Seeing that they didn't outright tell me I couldn't enter, I ignored the statement and proceeded to walk inside.
Then, at the security check point, they tried to verify Tesfaye's appointment and they couldn't. They told us that they only showed an appointment for May. As the line started to move past us, we were told to wait by the wall until today's appointment could be verified.
So we prayed. We stood there for about 15 minutes, as they too questioned me some more about why I was there with Tesfaye. Finally, the phone rang. "You may enter." Alright, at least we have a chance now to have the appointment!
We waited about two hours. I think that it was because we were at the end of the 8:30 appointments.
Finally, the other pastor was called to window 12. He stood tense at the window for about 2 minutes and then he turned back towards us. With tears welling up in his eyes, he shook his head no as he walked right past us back outside. We did not see him again until the evening.
A couple minutes later, "Tesfaye, report to window 12". The same guy that just denied the other pastor.
We both got up, and reported to the window. I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to do or say but we had to do all that we could. The gruff man behind window 12 looked at me puzzled and asked what my relation was to Tesfaye? "I am a friend of his, staying in his house. I am here as a witness to the work that he does." He kind of nodded, then told me to go and sit down. Four minutes later, after showing lots of documents, the man called me back.
"Your friend is going to be granted the visa!" Tears of happiness started to well up in both of our eyes, as we hugged and congratulated each other.
Our God. He is a God of miracles! All glory belongs to him!
There is no reason that Tesfaye should have been granted the visa. In fact, when he told me a couple of months ago that he was going to try, I thought that he shouldn't.
We went out to lunch to celebrate the good news, and the fact that today was Tesfaye's birthday as well.
I love this story!! Praise God!
ReplyDelete